It’s Easter, and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what I should bake. For the past few months I have been noticing an increase in galettes in my Instagram feed. Galettes are a sort of free-form pie or tart. Below is my recipe for mini blueberry galettes (using store-bought crust to make it easier, and also because: college):
Yields 6-7 mini galettes
2 sheets of pie crust
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (if previously frozen, let thaw)
1/4 cup of sugar
Almonds, sliced (enough to cover the outside crust of the galettes, probably no more than 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
1-2 tablespoons of butter, thinly sliced, to place on the top of each galette (look to picture below)
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons milk
A few drops of vanilla extract (to taste, I use 2-3 drops but taste-test to see how vanilla-y you want your glaze to be)
-For the galettes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Make sure dough is soft. Cut circles about 4 inches in diameter. You should be about to get three out of each crust. Save excess, sprinkle with extra flour and flatten with a rolling pin to create extra disk.
- Place blueberries in a mixing bowl. Coat evenly with flour, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Spoon coated blueberries into the center of each disk, leaving about 1 inch of dough left for folding. Fold excess dough around the blueberries inward. It doesn’t have to be pretty, galettes are often considered “rustic tarts.” And honestly, they always end up looking pretty anyway – so you can go wrong.
- Brush melted butter along the top crust of each galette. Cover crust with sliced almond. Add slivers of butter on top of the opening in each galette.
- Place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Once they are finished, let cool for 5-10 minutes and then drizzle with glaze.
- Serve and enjoy!
-For the glaze
- Place 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl. Add milk, mix until combined into a thick icing consistency. Add vanilla flavoring to taste and mix again.
Hope you enjoy!